The Essential Home Ground Flour Book
I realize not everyone has a grain mill at home. If you don’t, I urge you to consider getting one. The flavor of recipes made with homemade flours is unbeatable, plus you know exactly what is in your flour. If you or someone you love is gluten intolerant there are so many gluten free flours you can easily make at home. “The Essential Home-Ground Flour Book” shows you how to and why you should be making your own flour. There are many fabulous recipes in this book, but this is so much more than a cookbook. The book discusses different types of grain mills as well as the nutritional benefits of making your own flour.
Check Out this Recipe from the Book:
Apple Blueberry Almond Muffins
The almond flour and rice flour combination gives these muffins a moist texture and wonderful flavor. They are so good that no one will ever guess they are gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free.
Apple butter usually contains sweetener and spices, so it adds a little more flavor to these muffins. If they are too sweet for your taste, reduce the amount of honey to 1⁄4 cup (60 mL).
If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw them before adding to the batter.
The batter will be very thick, so the muffin cups can be filled to the top without concern for overflow while baking.
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 days.
- 12-cup muffin pan or 24-cup mini muffin pan, greased or lined with paper liners (see Tips, page 182)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground almond flour
- 11⁄2 cups freshly milled brown rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey (see Tips)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp pure almond extract, optional
- 1 cup apple butter or applesauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and water. Set aside for about 5 minutes, until mixture thickens.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together coconut oil and honey. Add soaked chia seeds, vanilla and almond extract, if using; whisk well. Add apple butter and mix well. Add all at once to flour mixture and mix until well combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (see Tips). Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes (15 to 20 minutes for mini muffins), until golden brown and tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a serving plate or wire rack to cool further.
Makes 12 muffins or 24 to 30 mini muffins
There are so many nutritious benefits to home flour milling!
Why mill your own flour at home? For one thing, the flavor of home-milled flours is unbeatable! The huge variety of grains available today means that you can create an array of versatile flours to use in a wide range of recipes from around the world. And then there’s the cost savings: home flour milling can save countless dollars on the cost of bread alone, especially for those with special dietary needs. Finally, home-milled flours are more nutritious, offering potential health benefits.
Whether you’re new to milling or a seasoned pro, you’re sure to be amazed and delighted by the wealth of information in this comprehensive book. Sue Becker provides easy-to-follow instructions on the milling process, from start to finish, plus 100 recipes for tasty treats such as quick breads, muffins, cookies, pastries and more! Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan recipes round out the options, making this the definitive choice for all baking enthusiasts.
If you’re intrigued by the idea of milling your own fresh home-ground flours, there’s no better way to begin than with this fascinating book.
Ready to Buy? Head over to Robert Rose and get a copy.
I was not a paid for my opinion; however I may have been given a free product for review. Thanks to all of my sponsors and their parent companies for their support in this review.