The Best Homemade Vegan Cheese and Ice Cream Recipes
When you have an allergy to cow’s milk, two of the things that you miss most are cheeses and ice creams. If you have issues with dairy, whether medically or conscientiously, “The Best Homemade Vegan Cheese and Ice Cream Recipes” by Marie Laforêt is a dream come true. Filled with amazing sounding recipes for numerous cheeses and many types of ice creams you are sure to find something to delight you. Check out this great recipe from the book.
Frozen Mini Layer Cakes
Halfway between cake and ice cream, this recipe is perfect as a dessert or an elegant snack. This version features blood orange juice, but you can make it with any other kind of fruit juice you like.
- 2 baking sheets, lined with parchment paper
- Two 23⁄4- to 31⁄4-inch (7 to 8 cm) metal pastry rings
- Ice Cream
- 7 oz cashews
- 1 cup blood orange juice
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup light cane sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plain soy yogurt
- 5 tbsp neutral vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 2 tbsp vegan milk
- 31⁄2 oz whole wheat flour, preferably einkorn
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
Serve with melted chocolate and fresh fruit (such as a salad of oranges or other tart fruits, like raspberries or strawberries, depending on the season).
- Ice Cream: In a bowl, soak cashews in water for 8 to 12 hours.
- Drain cashews and transfer to blender. Add orange juice, agave syrup to taste and vanilla; blend until smooth. Freeze in an airtight container to chill (but do not freeze solid).
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, soy yogurt and oil. Add cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla powder; stir well. Gradually incorporate milk, then sift flour with salt into batter and stir until combined. Spread mixture on a prepared baking sheet to a uniform thickness.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool. Using a metal pastry ring, cut out 6 cake rounds.
- Place both pastry rings on another prepared baking sheet (or on a platter). Place a cake round inside each. Pour a similar thickness of ice cream into each ring. Add a second layer of cake, then a second layer of ice cream, and finish with the last layer of cake. Freeze for at least 4 hours. Insert a knife blade around the edge of the ring to remove the ice cream cake.
Makes 2 mini layer cakes (serves 4)
Decadent and delicious dairy-free recipes that everyone will want to indulge in.
Just because you’re vegan or embrace a dairy-free lifestyle, there’s no reason you can’t saver the simple pleasure of ice cream or the oozy, gooey goodness of cheese. These completely vegan but completely delicious recipes will have you enjoying cheese and ice cream with a minimum of effort but lots of luscious flavor.
The recipes are easy to follow, and with just a little bit of organization and preparation, you’ll be creating sorbets, ice cream, ice pops and frozen desserts, along with tempting artisan cheeses, all in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Ready to Buy? Head over to Robert Rose and get a copy.
I was not a paid for my opinion; however I may have been given a free product for review. Thanks to all of my sponsors and their parent companies for their support in this review.