Brownies, Bars and Squares…Who doesn’t love em? When ya can find a cookbook entitled 250 of the Best what’s not to love? I received a copy of “The 250 Best Brownies Bars and Squares ” for review. Let’s check it out.
The 250 Best Brownies, Bars and Squares
Going to a family get-together? church social? book club meeting? This book has many recipes that are sure to please. Includes English and metric ingredient amounts for each recipe. Numerous color photos show ya how your creation looks when prepared. Such an incredible selection of tasty treats. Just look at the great pics on this page. There are over 25 recipes for different types of brownies. So ya can have delectable chocolaty brownies anyway ya want em. Delicious indulgences fill the pages.
Check out these recipes that are in the book:
Ultimate Nanaimo Bar
page 158, No-Bake Bars & Squares
Makes 24 bars
9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan, greased with butter
1/2 cup butter, melted 125 mL
1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 mL
1 egg, beaten 1
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa 75 mL
1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
2 cups graham wafer crumbs 500 mL
(about 30 wafers)
1 cup shredded coconut 250 mL
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 125 mL
1/4 cup butter, softened 50 mL
2 tbsp vanilla custard powder 25 mL
or vanilla instant
2 tbsp milk (approximate) 25 mL
2 cups confectioner’s (icing) 500 mL
4 squares (each 1 oz [28 g]) 4
1 tbsp butter 15 mL
1. Base: In a bowl mix together melted butter, sugar, egg, cocoa and vanilla until blended.
2. In another bowl, mix together crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Add butter mixture and mix well. Press evenly into prepared pan. Chill at least
3. Filling: In a bowl cream butter. Beat in custard powder, milk and confectioner’s sugar until blended. If mixture is too thick, add a few drops more milk. Spread evenly over base and chill for
30 minutes or until firm.
4. Topping: In a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Spread evenly over topping, then cut into bars. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
Cinnamon Applesauce Squares
page 72, Fruit Bars & Squares
Makes 36 bars
Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C)
13- by 9-inch (3.5 L) cake pan, greased
Base and Topping
3 cups all-purpose flour 750 mL
1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 mL
1 tbsp baking powder 15 mL
1 1/2 tsp salt 7 mL
1/3 cup butter or margarine 75 mL
2 eggs, beaten 2
6 to 8 tbsp milk 90 to 125 mL
2 cups applesauce 500 mL
1 egg yolk 1
1 tbsp cold water 15 mL
1. Base and Topping: In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using 2 knives, a pastry blender or your fingers, cut butter in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs and enough milk to make a dough, mixing lightly with a fork. Form dough into a ball and divide into
2 equal portions.
2. On a floured work surface, roll one portion into a rectangle, just a bit larger than the pan. Ease pastry into the bottom of prepared pan, bringing the dough a bit up the sides.
3. Filling: Spread applesauce evenly over dough and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Roll out remaining dough, as for first portion and place on top of applesauce mixture. Seal the edges.
4. Glaze: Beat egg yolk and water and brush base with the mixture, then sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until well browned. Place pan on a rack and cool completely, then cut into squares. Serve warm or cooled.
The ultimate collection of easy and sumptuous desserts!
For sweet satisfaction and easy preparation, there’s nothing like a plate full of brownies, bars or squares fresh from the oven. In the world of baking, these are the ultimate comfort foods, evoking wonderful memories.
Best of all, brownies, bars and squares are so easy to make. For many recipes, you simply mix up the dough in one bowl, put it into a square or oblong pan, bake, slice and enjoy! That’s why they’re ideal for busy families.
Bestselling Esther Brody brings back all that homemade goodness in this outstanding collection of fully tested recipes. You’ll discover many familiar recipes, as well as new recipes that are sure to create warm memories for your family and friends. There’s even a chapter devoted to no-bake bars and squares — absolutely perfect for those particularly time-crunched occasions. Whether you’re a novice or a long-time baker, once you start experimenting and see the outstanding results, you’ll be inspired to make baking a part of your everyday life.
Want to keep up with all things Robert Rose? You can like em on Facebook and follow em on Twitter. Sign-up for their newsletter and get tasty recipes and valuable cooking tips delivered to your inbox!
Ready to buy? Head on over to Robert Rose and get a copy of The 250 Best Brownies, Bars and Squares or some of their other great books.
Excerpted from The 250 Best Brownies, Bars & Squares by Esther Brody © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.