I love, love, love Mexican food. I just can’t get enough. So when I found 200 Easy Mexican Recipes by Kelley Cleary Coffeen at Robert Rose Publishers my taste buds went wild. This cookbook has it all. There are recipes for Appetizers, Salsas, Tortillas, Soups, Traditional Recipes, Veggies, Beverages, and Deserts. Enough variety to make any day a fiesta. Beautiful full color photos show off these mouth watering creations. Want a sneak peek? I know ya’ll do.
Check out this great recipe. (It is actually the pic from the cover. There are plenty more in the book)
Grilled Shrimp with Avocado Butter, page 161
Makes 4 servings
Lightly marinated shrimp are simple but amazingly flavorful. Rich avocado butter adds a balance in texture and taste.
Tip: I like using a blend of spices to shorten my ingredient list. Creole seasoning has a combination of onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt and pepper. There are many good blends on the market, so you can find a favorite.
Four 10- to 12-inch (25 to 30 cm) flat metal skewers
3 avocados, cut in quarters or into chunks 3
2 clove garlic, minced 2
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice 30 mL
2 tbsp olive oil 30 mL
Kosher or sea salt
Juice of 2 limes (about 1⁄4 cup/60 mL)
1 clove garlic, minced 1
1 tbsp Creole seasoning (see Tip, left) 15 mL
1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper 2 mL
2 tbsp olive oil 30 mL
16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined 16
1. Avocado Butter: In a food processor, combine avocados, garlic, lime juice and olive oil and process until smooth. Add salt to taste. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or for up to 2 hours.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk lime juice, garlic, Creole seasoning, cayenne and oil until well blended. Add shrimp and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, preheat barbecue grill to medium-high.
4. Remove shrimp from marinade and discard marinade. Thread 4 shrimp on each skewer.
5. Grill shrimp, turning once, until shrimp are pink and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter. Gently remove from skewers and serve with Avocado Butter.
Excerpted from 200 Easy Mexican Recipes by Kelley Cleary Coffeen © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. http://www.robertrose.ca May not be reprinted without publisher permission.
200 Easy Mexican Recipes
Kelley Cleary Coffeen
Mexican food is one of the most popular and influential cuisines enjoyed today.
With its alluring blend of flavors and aromas, combined with a relatively simple and colorful presentation style, it’s no wonder Mexican food is enjoying ever increasing popularity.
Inspired by authentic dishes, these foolproof recipes bring the flavors of Mexico into your home kitchen, made with ingredients that can be found at your local grocery store. They’re quick to make, easy to serve and affordable, yet are quite simply some of the best Mexican dishes you’re ever going to savor.
From beverages to desserts, the recipes are sure to delight, including:
• Pomegranate Margarita • Shrimp Ceviche • Corn & Chile Guacamole • Green Chile & Chicken Tacos • Machaca Burrito • Red Chile Enchiladas • Chicken Mole • Tres Leches Cake In addition to all the fabulous and exciting dishes she has created, Kelley offers a wonderfullyinteresting account of the traditions and culture surrounding Mexican cuisine, alongwith a comprehensive glossary depicting the flavors of Mexico, an ingredient list and a list of handy tools and equipment.
Kelley Cleary Coffeen is a cookbook author, food consultant, media personality and restaurateur who enjoys the flavors of the American Southwest and Mexico. Her creativity in the kitchen has resulted in a flourishing culinary career
Want to keep up with all things Robert Rose? You can like em on Facebook and follow em on Twitter. Sign-up for their newsletter and get tasty recipes and valuable cooking tips delivered to your inbox!
Ready to buy? Head on over to Robert Rose and get a copy of 200 Easy Mexican Recipes or some of their other great books.